For Christmas my husband got me a belly cast kit. It is a kit containing plaster coated strips that you soak in water and then apply to your pregnant belly. After a few minutes the cast hardens and VOILA! you have a permanent mold of what you looked like at 9 months. An extremely sweet and sentimental gift.
Too bad I threw up on mine.
We decided to do the cast this weekend because it was a 3 day weekend and as of this week I am beginning my 9th month (i.e.- we don't know how much longer I will have this big belly). I sat in the kitchen while my hubby applied the cold, slimy plaster strips. For about 40 minutes I was the perfect model- sat perfectly still, enjoyed the process, etc. Then I started to get uncomfortable. The chair was pushing into my back, I had to pee, the strips were cold. My dear husband said "Pretend this is labor and breathe through the discomfort" Then I went from uncomfortable to ill. The cast began to harden and I felt my every breath was being constricted. Panic started to set in as well as nausea. "I need the trashcan!" I said as I vomited down the front of my beautiful belly cast.
The kit came with a brochure of pictures showing how different people have decorated their belly casts. Some had it glazed with bronze paint, others wrote their child's name across the belly, while others still used it for a canvas to showcase abstract artwork.
I decorated mine with puke.
*update* After getting sick I instantly felt better and was the perfect model yet again. My husband wiped the cast clean and covered it with several more layers of plaster. It has hardened and is beautiful!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
poor girl - glad it all panned out!
Well, surprise, surprise, you learn something new everyday! A belly cast, what an idea :) Will you post a pic up of it?
XXX
That is so funny! I'm glad it was fixable! :)
Ugh, that sucks! It will be a funny story to tell your daughter one day when she is looking at the cast.
Please post a pic!!!
What a sweet gift! I want to see a picture...
I so want to see a pic of the cast. :) A friend of mine used to work at a hotel and Belly casting was one of the services they offered the hotel guest along with their spa treatments etc. Are you going to paint it? Shadow box frame it? Glad it all worked out in the end.
What a great story to share with the little one someday! I can picture the two of you checking out the cast ten to twenty years from now and laughing yourselves silly over losing your lunch during the process. Congratulations!
Jan from Unique Baby Gear, Nursery Decor and Baby Nursery Pictures Contest! Please share pics of your baby's room with others!
Doing a belly cast is a great way to commemorate your pregnancy. I'm sorry you through up on yours. I did one and it's on the site (it has the date July 12, 2003 on it). I would like to see a picture. I think they're so cool.
Puke stories shouldn't be funny, but somehow it is.
I can't believe you're already so very pregnant! From this end it's gone by FAST.
J
Post a Comment