Thursday, April 10, 2008

"Plans for birth control"

I had my 6 week follow-up appointment (well, it was 2 weeks ago...I've been meaning to post about it!) One of the things the doctor asked us was what our plans were for birth control. We sort of laughed and said that honestly we had no plans for any since it was so difficult to get pregnant in the first place. He encouraged us to use something for at least 6 months because it may happen more easily since we are not as "stressed" and "anxious" about trying to get pregnant.

I really like my doctor, but I have 2 problems with this.

#1 We can't be those people that can plan when they will get pregnant. I threw that idea out the window a LONG time ago. While it would be nice to say "When the baby is 2 we'll start trying for another one so that they will be about 3 years apart" it is not going to happen like that. We're going to just go ahead and let the sperm swim where they may (oh, come on- 'the cards fall where they may' just didn't have the same OOmpf).

#2 His statement implies that our infertility was our fault. (i.e. the stress was the problem). I don't doubt that the stress didn't help but the last thing I need is to feel that I somehow could have controlled it. I feel like he was making light of what I think was a serious problem. Infertility is not recognized as a legitimate medical problem & that ticks me off. Some doctors don't recognize it, insurance companies ignore it, and people who don't experience just don't get it. I feel that it IS a legitimate medical problem and it is not something the patient can control (nor should they be made to feel that they can)

So anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

PS Is anyone else excited that The Office is going to be back on tonight!!!

8 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

anxious and stressed huh- Damn Wish I thought of that

and yes i am very excited hte office is BACK!!!

Nearlydawn said...

Oh, can I come over to your house and go with you to your next appt? I would LOVE to kick your OB's ass for saying something like that.

Wow! You mean all we had to do was have a baby to make getting more babies easier? WTF?

Yeah, OK, it does happen for a select few, but that makes it more an "urban legend" than a statistical likelihood. Geesh...

OK - I should go now... Not sure I'll get off that soapbox soon...

Erin said...

I am SO excited about the Office, too! And I am already anticipating that question from my doctor. It will be considered madness to not use anything w/ newborn twins, but I just can't imagine why we'd bother!

Melissa said...

My husband and I have had the same discussion. We've decided to go without any birth control. Like you said - planning the timing of a pregnancy is so out of our reality at this point.

I thought The Office was very good tonight. It was great to have it on again!

Geohde said...

Not to mention that caring for the average small baby coupled with breastfeeding is very effective contraception. Heck, exclusive breastfeeding as as good as the pill in the first 6 months as long as it's exclusive.

J

PS- they really SAID that stress was implicated? Naughty OB!

Kate said...

Yeah, I laughed when my OB asked about BC, too. I am very excited about The Office. "That was a $200 plasma TV!"

elfstone326 said...

Wow, that really irritates me that your OB would say that. Might as well tell a cancer patient she "shouldn't stress" and maybe she'd do better. I totally, completely support your decision. You're right, you can't plan it, and you might as well not stress about it! What's the worst thing that can happen? Another beautiful baby a little sooner than you'd planned. That doesn't sound very bad to me.

Anonymous said...

Well said! I agreee with everything you said. Let the sperm swim where they may!