Today was our meeting with the fetility doc to sit down and make a plan. We are going to do gonadotropins (specifically Bravelle). I will be giving myself injections for the next 5 days and then we'll do an IUI sometime this weekend or next week. I would like to say that having a new plan makes me happy, but quite honestly I am freaked out. Allow me to explain in list formation:
1. This treatment costs between $1000-$2000 per cycle. Insurance (you bastards!) covers nothing.
2. There is an 18% success rate. After 3 months there is a cumulative success rate of 30%. Doesn't sound super promising does it?!?!?
3. After this our only option is IVF. The doctor said at this time it seems like an overly aggressive way to treat me. However he did send us home with their HUGE folder-o-IVF information. I don't even want to think about IVF yet. The cost just worries me too much. I can't believe that there are some states that pay for all of this! I am paying 100% out of pocket (again: you bastards!)
So, I guess we'll see. I go back on Friday to get estrogen levels checked and then we'll get further instructions. Boy would I like this to work...
I have to say, I do love my husband. When we went into the waiting room I noticed the lastest People magazine (it has Marcia Cross and her twin babies on the cover). The next time I looked at the magazine it was gone. My darling hubby hid it so I wouldn't get upset by seeing it. Or as he put it "Nobody wants to see that when they're at the infertility doctor." I did have to inform him that Marcia Cross conceived those twins via IVF. I then followed up with, "But she's rich and probably had insurance to pay for her procedures!"
Well I'm off to mix vials and inject into my fat rolls. Joy!
ps Can someone please make the new tv show "Notes from the Underbelly" go away? I mean, seriously!
Monday, April 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Good luck with this IUI! We're paying all out of pocket too and it's so painful!
How intimidating is that IVF binder?
Oooh good luck with this cycle, its great to have a plan isn't it. And your hubby sounds lovely by the way!!
*love*
Thanks for your comment on my blog (and of course you can add me to your frequently read list!) and good luck with the iui. I am gearing up to start my three iuis in August before moving on to IVF. The costs are really scary!! I have it a little better than most, as my dh's drug plan (we live in Canada) covers the cost of the drugs, but the procedures are not covered by our provincial health insurance and that's pretty scary!! The whole reason for doing the 3 iuis before ivf is due to cost factors. I just keep telling myself to keep my eyes on the prize!
Hey, I noticed on your sidebar that you are taking some chinese herbs, would you mind sharing with us which ones? I'm taking some as well and am curious. All the best!
PS-Can I add you to my list as well?
Congrats on the new plan of action! It must feel good to know where you're going from here. Be sure to keep us posted on the dates of the IUI so we can be praying or thinking of you!
Erin- that IVF folder is super intimidating. It is full of legal documents and overwhelming info. Not to mention the costs!
Hope- I have added you to my list :) Feel free to do the same. I wish I could tell you the exact combo of herbs I am taking. I am just starting a new cycle so I don't have any right now. I have been on packets of dry herbs (that I brew with water) and on pills (Ten Pills or tea pills...) All I know is that the brews taste AWFUL!
If you how we can make that show go away ... I'll help
Post a Comment